Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Johnny Carson, 1925-2005

Mom came over when I finished my reading assignment. "Johnny Carson is dead," she said. "No," I replied. "He can't die. Johnny Carson can't die."

Well, he did: AOL News - Late-Night Legend Dies at 79.

It's not like when I heard Jim Henson died. Henson was younger and had plans he was still working on. (I'm still pissed off about Henson dying.) Carson retired ages ago. I just thought...well, Carson was slightly immortal. He's been there all my life. It's not like losing a grandfather or uncle. I'm not crying. I'm just oddly surprised. Johnny Carson wasn't supposed to die.

I guess some part of me always figured he would come back to late night again and kick Jay Leno's butt in the ratings. But now he's gone, so he can't, not just won't, and I look around at his "replacements" and think, "They aren't."

No comments: