Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Why I can't discuss politics with anyone

I'm getting a little sick of this.

I understand there are a number of my friends with whom I cannot discuss politics as my position on the Bush White House is counter to theirs. This means discussion can't be rational. (Personally, I believe those who swear to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States are required thereafter to do so. But, hey.)

I also can't discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of the field of Republican candidates with Republicans as I'm not on the political right in my leanings, I know how scientific method works and how it applies to the theory of evolution, and I don't think Reagan was the greatest president ever. Fine.

Yet I can't even discuss the Democratic candidates with Democrats. Why? Because it's not about policy, it's not about platforms, it's not about past actions. It's about a black man of 46 running against a white Boomer woman.

If I point out that it's racist to vote for a person simply because they're black, I'm an asshole. If I point out it's misogynist to vote for a person simply because they're female, I'm an asshole. If I point out that insulting someone because of their age is retarded, I'm an asshole. If I point out that ranting diatribes against all comers who aren't of the exact mindset as the ranter don't actually make a positive argument for a candidate, I'm an asshole.

I'm tired of being dismissed just because I want to discuss the issues on the table, education, health care, the wars (there's one in Afghanistan, too), the environment, our nation's ability to react to natural and man-made disasters, our natonal debt, the economy, rather than the gender, age, race or personality of the candidates. I don't give a shit how much someone does or does not spend on their hair, their house, their car, their clothes. I don't give a shit if I'd want to have a beer with them, or if they're sexually attractive. I'm looking for a President of the United States, damn it, not an American Idol or a senior class president.

This is just another reason for me to hate humanity. People suck. Suck hard. All they do is reinforce my growing mysanthropic tendencies with their irrational jerkiness.

They'd do themselves no end of good to watch C-SPAN more and listen to news bites and pundits less.

No comments: