Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Mmm, curry-rific goodness

ATTENTION READER: You will, in all likelihood, be thoroughly grossed out by the cooking/eating habits detailed below.

You have been warned.



About two years ago, maybe two and a half years, I went grocery shopping with ET. This, of course, took place in Chinatown. I picked up udon and tastier flavors of ramen not available at round-eye outlets and some S & B Medium Hot Golden Curry Mix. I finally got through all the ramen about two months ago. (I discovered I liked it with soft tofu squished into mush into it, so that the tofu acted as a thickener and a source of protein. I put the squished tofu and spices and oil and ramen into the pot together so everything tasted like the spices and oil instead of ramen and tofu. I'm also too lazy to try to remember to put in the different things at the appropriate time. Lazy round-eye, remember?)

A couple of weeks ago I looked in the little cupboard where I keep the food which I brought up with me when I moved and discovered I had only the curry sauce mix, the udon, and a can of Spaghettios. Mom was feeling poorly so I figured I only had to make dinner for myself. Did I heat up the can of delicious pasta product? No, of course not.

I stuck an onion in the food processor (on the wrong setting, so instead of finely chopped onion I got thin onion strip-type things), then tried to atomize some baby carrots in the food processor (only to discover that the lid is broken so the carrots and bits of carrots splattered all over one side of the kitchen). I squished up the last box of tofu and start up the process of makin' curry. When I finally cracked open the package of curry blocks, I put my nose next to the bullion and sniffed. Oh, but it smelled delicious. It smelled like everything I miss most about New York. It smelled like sitting in line for a blockbuster on opening night with friends. It smelled like walking along in time to my CDs, going 10 minutes per 20 blocks. It smelled like having twenty different choices of where to eat out. It smelled like easy transportation. It smelled like...Japanese-style curry, really. It's tasty-tasty, though sauce-phobic Halifax would sooner throw his toenail collection at your head than eat the stuff.

I added too much butter to saute the badly-sliced onion (which stoutly refused to brown no matter how I tried), but that turned out in my favor as the reheated curry cooked up quickly and well later in the nuker. Or something. Anyway, I thought it tasted good, but I'm a big dairy fan and have no issue with oil from butter as I believe it to be a super-tasty kind of oil. (I also am fond of dipping bread into herbed olive oil. I'm a freak.)

At a certain point (I think it was just after I put in all of the water), I decided I wanted to put some of the udon into the curry, too. I'm not sure why I did this, except I wanted the noodles to taste especially curry-y (and didn't want to bother with a pot of boiling water, I suspect). I had to add a LOT more water to the mess in the saute pan, but it worked out okay in the end. As a matter of fact, I managed to extend the curry much longer than usual because I'd added so much stuff to it (in the form of udon noodles).

This curry lasted me until last week. Two weeks' worth of tofu curry with udon. I had it mostly for lunch on days when I got home early from class and during weekends. It smelled sooooo goooood. And now it is gone. And there is no freakin' way I'd spend shipping on buying some more.

But then, I'm going grocery shopping in Boston this Friday with C--, and I'm sure the Chinese grocery will have my S & B.

Ooh, and gummis! Cheap Japanese gummis! Mmm. And strawberry Pocky and curry Pretz and those koala bear things with chocolate inside....