Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Dangers of online communication

Every once in a while, I run across some text written by someone else, online, which makes me think, What an asshole. I'm sure this happens lots to other people. La, la, la, you're reading along on a bulletin board and, BAM!, your only response can be Man, what a bitch or Christ, what a jackass. Still, it's not fair, as you don't really know what the person's tone of voice was or sometimes even the real personality of the person posting. Context is everything, and postings on the web are somewhat without context. Meaning, you might be reading what that poster wrote incorrectly. (Or maybe you are right, but.... Well, it's just not kosher to respond in kind. Flame wars are stupid.)

This is all obvious, I know, and stated much better elsewhere, but I needed to write it so I wouldn't write something stupid and incendiary like, "You're a humorless asshole," in response to this guy.... sigh