Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Monday, March 08, 2004

Spalding Gray is dead

There's probably no one outside of my family who would hear of this and go, "sigh Oh," like I did when Mom told me today that Spalding Gray's Body [was] Found:
"The body of actor and monologuist Spalding Gray has been recovered from New York's East River two months after he vanished."
I really enjoyed the Demme film of Gray's Cambodia monologue. While I can't quote directly from it (I'm not very good at that sort of thing), I have seen the film many times. It's one of those which I'd sit down and watch if I caught it in the middle while flipping through cable channels.

He's gone, most likely a suicide, and that means there'll be no more chances at new monologues as good as Cambodia was. No, I didn't know him, but this, and that his wife and kids had to go through the two months of waiting to hear what happened to him then identifying his corpse, makes me sad. Guess I'm just pathetic that way. How sad that he had to live up to that stupid and horrible cliché of the depressed and suicidal author/artist.