Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Saturday, May 08, 2004

"Damned lies" and the lying liars who tell them

I have little to do, other than study and write final papers. This means I've been able to watch and listen to much of the Congressional hearings with Rumsfeld on C-SPAN and C-SPAN2. At times I've been so angry I've had to leave the room and wander to the computer or to a book or to the fridge and pretend I'm not hearing what I'm hearing. The expression on Rumsfeld's face when he's confronted by Senators and Representatives from both (both) sides of the aisle asking intelligent and reasonable questions is...sigh I wish to God someone would just smack that look off his face. Like my sister E-- used to say when she was little, "He needs a mommy." Or to go back to kindergarten. Something. He's missing primal training.

I can't address what happened to those prisoners. I can't address the photographs. I can't address the response from the executive branch. I just don't have the words. Other people have addressed them much better than I (check out Terry Karney's blog, for one). So, I'll just quote "pfarley"'s LJ:
Thus spake Rumsfeld

Dear Citizens of the Earth;

Please judge America by our ideals rather than our actions; and likewise, judge our enemies by their actions rather than their ideals.

Otherwise, we'll fuck your shit up.

cheers,
Donald Rumsfeld
Secretary of Defense
USA