I thought I'd put in this link to a well-written NYT article on Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, and Stewart's appearance on CNN's Crossfire. I'm thinking of copy-pasting, but I'm scared of pissing off NYT. Here's just a little bit:
What distinguishes Mr. Stewart from Jay Leno and David Letterman is that the Comedy Central star mocks the entire political process, boring in tightly on the lockstep thinking and complacency of the parties and the media as well as the candidates. More than other television analysts and commentators, he and his writers put a spotlight on the inanities and bland hypocrisies that go mostly unnoticed in the average news cycle.
Mr. Stewart is very funny, but it is the vein of "a plague on both your houses" indignation that has made his show a cult favorite: many younger voters are turning to the "The Daily Show" for their news analysis, and are better served there than on much of what purports to be real news on cable.



No comments:
Post a Comment