I was hoping the box sitting in the passenger seat when Mom picked me up contained my new Japanese textbook and workbook. I need the workbook desperately, as we're covering the kanji in there now. It was not my Japanese stuff. It was the order I made of super-on-sale books. I got Shopgirl (hardcover, less than $6) and The Pleasure of My Company (paperback, $6) by Steve Martin and the latest in A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Grim Grotto ($6). I was happy to have something to distract me from the ennui of midterms which wasn't too long (none of them will be more than a couple of hours' reading a most). I was even happier to see "First Edition" on the copyright page of Shopgirl and The Grim Grotto and "First Paperback Edition" on the copyright page of The Pleasure of My Company. I have a weakness for first editions. I'm especially happy that Shopgirl is a first edition, as I've read that the first edition can go for as much as $38. (Again, I got it for less than $6.) I showed it to Mom and thought of how much it'd be worth if only I could get Mr. Martin to sign it for me. Mmmm. Warm fuzzies. Booooks!
- Benjamin Franklin



No comments:
Post a Comment