Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Friday, April 30, 2004

Can't help lovin' that short stop of mine

Jeter, Anemic at 0 for 32, Is a Crusher at 1 for 33

"Yogi Berra has forgotten some details, but he knew the length of his worst hitless streak, the way he broke out of it and the opponent when he did. Decades later, Derek Jeter provided the historical symmetry to an epic slump.

"In his first at-bat against the Oakland Athletics' Barry Zito last night, Jeter crushed a first-pitch homer deep over the left-center field wall near Monument Park at Yankee Stadium. The blast emphatically ended a slide that had reached 0 for 32, a figure that was familiar to Berra, the Yankee Hall of Famer.

" 'It's funny,' Berra said before last night's game, a 7-5 Yankee victory. 'I went 0 for 32 once. I hit a home run the next time up.' The home run, he added, was against the Kansas City Athletics, a forerunner of the Oakland team."
cue creepy '50s sci-fi moog Ooo-oo-oo-oooo!

Jeter and Yogi. Please also note that the HR wound up in the netting over Monument Park. He's so future HOF. I'll never cheer for that Rodriguez fellow the way I cheer for Jeter.