I've had some issues with the way Red Cross runs its organization in the past and have done my best to avoid giving them donations as I do not trust them to use them appropriately. The list of suggested donation sites at FEMA is, apparently, almost entirely religious organizations (the only non-religious organization being the Corporation for National & Community Service), with Pat Robertson's group being among the top three. As you can imagine, I don't particularly trust that group, either.
However, I've been looking around and have read many good things about MercyCorps. If you've read otherwise, let me know. But I thought I'd forward that group on, as Oxfam, the organization to which I donated after the Asian tsunami this past winter, does not appear to be involved in this particular natural disaster. (Perhaps because it took place in one of the wealthiest nations in the world?)
I've wanted to help, but can't. I figured the half-a-reader I have might be in the same boat. I'm not telling you to give, but giving you an option which appears preferable to the Red Cross, which refuses homosexuals and has had major issues in overpaying its executives. Oh, and let donated blood rot. Nice one.
EDIT 9/3, 1:38A:
My mom pointed out the section of the Oxfam America which is set up specifically to help the victims of the hurricane. I've set up a link button for the site. Oxfam is a wonderful organization and I trust them thoroughly. I wish I had the funds to help, but I'm comforted to know that my mom had given, even though we're in the middle of ...well, those of you who know me know, or can e-mail and ask. I'm also comforted to know that my friends are as generous as my mother and are doing all they can do to help, too. (You guys are super-awesome. I know it's cheesey to say, but I'm proud to know you.)
[SNIPPED due to my inability to find the (reputable) sites with the supporting data and statistics and my being too lazy to look up the poverty numbers on government websites. Also, don't want to deal with the racist bullshit. Tra la!]
However, I've been looking around and have read many good things about MercyCorps. If you've read otherwise, let me know. But I thought I'd forward that group on, as Oxfam, the organization to which I donated after the Asian tsunami this past winter, does not appear to be involved in this particular natural disaster. (Perhaps because it took place in one of the wealthiest nations in the world?)
I've wanted to help, but can't. I figured the half-a-reader I have might be in the same boat. I'm not telling you to give, but giving you an option which appears preferable to the Red Cross, which refuses homosexuals and has had major issues in overpaying its executives. Oh, and let donated blood rot. Nice one.
EDIT 9/3, 1:38A:
My mom pointed out the section of the Oxfam America which is set up specifically to help the victims of the hurricane. I've set up a link button for the site. Oxfam is a wonderful organization and I trust them thoroughly. I wish I had the funds to help, but I'm comforted to know that my mom had given, even though we're in the middle of ...well, those of you who know me know, or can e-mail and ask. I'm also comforted to know that my friends are as generous as my mother and are doing all they can do to help, too. (You guys are super-awesome. I know it's cheesey to say, but I'm proud to know you.)
[SNIPPED due to my inability to find the (reputable) sites with the supporting data and statistics and my being too lazy to look up the poverty numbers on government websites. Also, don't want to deal with the racist bullshit. Tra la!]



No comments:
Post a Comment