Went to see Master and Commander again. The screen was okay, but smaller than the one I saw it on the first time. The sound was crap, located entirely to the front. The soundscape in M&C is increadible: there is always the water and the creaking wood of the ship. However, you couldn't hear it in the theater we went to last night. This was very disappointing, as I wanted my sister and nephews to have the same experience I did when I saw it for the first time. My comfort is that their sound system at home is professional-grade (as my brother-in-law, M---, sets up systems like this for his job for major corporations and obscenely wealthy and such). They'll be able to hear every lap of water, every creak of timber and rope.
M&C is a bit like a documentary. You observe what happens during a certain period of time. It's brilliant. I never once thought I'm watching FX. The fighting ships of war looked like they had actually filmed fighting ships of war. Even with this observational, documentarian style which Weir chose, I found I cared for what happened to the men on the ship, to the ship, to its doctor, and I understood a little of what the men saw in their captain and why they were willing to sail around the Horn at his command.
Anyway, it's worth seeing and I'm very glad I saw it again.
Still want to see Return of the King again, though.
M&C is a bit like a documentary. You observe what happens during a certain period of time. It's brilliant. I never once thought I'm watching FX. The fighting ships of war looked like they had actually filmed fighting ships of war. Even with this observational, documentarian style which Weir chose, I found I cared for what happened to the men on the ship, to the ship, to its doctor, and I understood a little of what the men saw in their captain and why they were willing to sail around the Horn at his command.
Anyway, it's worth seeing and I'm very glad I saw it again.
Still want to see Return of the King again, though.


