There were some comments posted in response to my post a week back by an anonymous individual (whose tag I will not name) in which the anonymous individual proceeded to make a general point that there is no good reason for me to have the post in my blog as petitions are ignored by those in government and do absolutely no good, especially when late. All right, I'll take his/her rudely stated word for it and keep my political responses to letters/e-mail to my congressmen/women.
This complete stranger also felt very strongly that undergrads are useless, spaced-out, shallow individuals. This I'm willing to concede, especially since I'm not your average undergrad and many of the undergrads I've met at my school are drunken, drugged-out, apolitical twits. However, the statements made to this effect by the complete stranger did imply certain assumptions about myself that mark this complete stranger as someone who does not know me or my circumstances and therefore as someone who cannot judge me. Cheers, mate. Being rude about the complete stranger with whom you are sharing your precious, precious superior intelligence and education is not exactly a good way to keep their attention. Or keep your comments posted. Yes, I'm being rude in response, but it's my blog, not a public forum. I'd probably be just as rude if you spouted off in my front yard.
S/he also appeared to claim I have no right to delete comments I don't want on my blog. Lo-o-ong time ago, I posted that I would delete comments for any reason I chose. My initial reaction to the complete stranger's rudeness (her/his initial comment and even ruder reply will not be posted here) was to delete the comment. I abstained, but did make my feelings about her/his post clear. If this complete stranger had not posted an even more obnoxious reply, I would have left everything, as there were valid opposing points made by the stranger regarding the FCC action and the supposed futility of my attempt to get people to react to the FCC action at this late a date. As it stands, this stranger can go post his/her arguments as to why I'm an idiot elsewhere. This is a free country and this complete stranger is permitted to slam my political leanings/intelligence all s/he wants (within the reach of the law, which is very lenient), just not on my personal blog. (Again, "blog," not "public forum.") Many people disagree with me and I'm not the brightest bulb in the American light show, but strangers can make rude comments about both elsewhere.
This deletion of the comments by this complete stranger from my blog does not make me somehow "correct" in my political or personal leanings, as this complete stranger seemed to believe my initial response implied. That would be an absolutely ridiculous idea. This action simply shows that I think this person would be better served by posting her/his comments elsewhere and, perhaps, s/he can attempt not to be a pompous ass when dealing with complete strangers in the future.
Just a thought.
However, please let it be noted that it has been stated in the comments to my blog by someone who, apparently, believes s/he is "in the know," that no one should bother signing any petition posted by Common Cause, that no one should bother writing to his/her congressman/woman, and that there is little to no point in making any form of protest to the FCC action at this point. We all had a chance already to make our feelings clear when Rupert Murdoch was making his point with the FCC weeks ago.
I disagree, but I will post this for the edification of the non-rude strangers who read and my friends, who can be as rude as they want because they know who the fuck I am.
Cheers!
This complete stranger also felt very strongly that undergrads are useless, spaced-out, shallow individuals. This I'm willing to concede, especially since I'm not your average undergrad and many of the undergrads I've met at my school are drunken, drugged-out, apolitical twits. However, the statements made to this effect by the complete stranger did imply certain assumptions about myself that mark this complete stranger as someone who does not know me or my circumstances and therefore as someone who cannot judge me. Cheers, mate. Being rude about the complete stranger with whom you are sharing your precious, precious superior intelligence and education is not exactly a good way to keep their attention. Or keep your comments posted. Yes, I'm being rude in response, but it's my blog, not a public forum. I'd probably be just as rude if you spouted off in my front yard.
S/he also appeared to claim I have no right to delete comments I don't want on my blog. Lo-o-ong time ago, I posted that I would delete comments for any reason I chose. My initial reaction to the complete stranger's rudeness (her/his initial comment and even ruder reply will not be posted here) was to delete the comment. I abstained, but did make my feelings about her/his post clear. If this complete stranger had not posted an even more obnoxious reply, I would have left everything, as there were valid opposing points made by the stranger regarding the FCC action and the supposed futility of my attempt to get people to react to the FCC action at this late a date. As it stands, this stranger can go post his/her arguments as to why I'm an idiot elsewhere. This is a free country and this complete stranger is permitted to slam my political leanings/intelligence all s/he wants (within the reach of the law, which is very lenient), just not on my personal blog. (Again, "blog," not "public forum.") Many people disagree with me and I'm not the brightest bulb in the American light show, but strangers can make rude comments about both elsewhere.
This deletion of the comments by this complete stranger from my blog does not make me somehow "correct" in my political or personal leanings, as this complete stranger seemed to believe my initial response implied. That would be an absolutely ridiculous idea. This action simply shows that I think this person would be better served by posting her/his comments elsewhere and, perhaps, s/he can attempt not to be a pompous ass when dealing with complete strangers in the future.
Just a thought.
However, please let it be noted that it has been stated in the comments to my blog by someone who, apparently, believes s/he is "in the know," that no one should bother signing any petition posted by Common Cause, that no one should bother writing to his/her congressman/woman, and that there is little to no point in making any form of protest to the FCC action at this point. We all had a chance already to make our feelings clear when Rupert Murdoch was making his point with the FCC weeks ago.
I disagree, but I will post this for the edification of the non-rude strangers who read and my friends, who can be as rude as they want because they know who the fuck I am.
Cheers!


