I just saw something which epitomizes the college students at U-Albany: a giant empty bottle of Canadian Molson sitting on the wet pavement under one of the concrete benches between Humanities and Education. I laughed and wished I had my camera with me so I could take a picture. Maybe when I come back to campus later today I can bring my camera, take a picture, and post it on my blog. I'll have to put something next to it so you can understand the scale. It's huge. Huge-ass big. And sitting on campus between two of the buildings.
This is a party school. I'd heard that when I initally applied, but my dad, who was working here at the time, vehemently denied it. He was a goddamned liar.
The kids here drink like `80's frat movie characters. They drink until they get alcohol poisoning and die. They come into afternoon classes on a Wednesday with hangovers. It's amusing at a certain level, like the huge-ass, green Canadian Molson bottle. It also sucks as the professors have to be much harsher than at other universities as the students generally don't give a rat-fuck and need to have even the faintest work ethic beaten into their alcohol-damaged minds in order to make the teaching of the course worthwhile. It amazes me large numbers of people graduate. It amazes me professors don't just throw their hands in the air and give up, reciting from the same yellowed notes they used fifteen years ago (like the professors at NYU). They still care, even though the student body is too fucking drunk to care back.
But, damn, that empty bottle made me laugh.
This is a party school. I'd heard that when I initally applied, but my dad, who was working here at the time, vehemently denied it. He was a goddamned liar.
The kids here drink like `80's frat movie characters. They drink until they get alcohol poisoning and die. They come into afternoon classes on a Wednesday with hangovers. It's amusing at a certain level, like the huge-ass, green Canadian Molson bottle. It also sucks as the professors have to be much harsher than at other universities as the students generally don't give a rat-fuck and need to have even the faintest work ethic beaten into their alcohol-damaged minds in order to make the teaching of the course worthwhile. It amazes me large numbers of people graduate. It amazes me professors don't just throw their hands in the air and give up, reciting from the same yellowed notes they used fifteen years ago (like the professors at NYU). They still care, even though the student body is too fucking drunk to care back.
But, damn, that empty bottle made me laugh.


