Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Little gold man for Captain Jack?

I'm all happy.
Hollywood observers are shocked that Johnny Depp walked away with the top prize at the Screen Actors Guild Awards at the weekend, and there's now a strong feeling in the film industry that he could well surprise everyone and take the home the best actor Oscar on Sunday.
The rest of the tiny article goes on to explain that Sean Penn was the favorite to win the Oscar before the SAG Awards were given, with Bill Murray in second running.

First off, Huzzah for Captain Jack! That movie was fabulous, but Johnny Depp's Captain Jack was the centerpiece of the film. If it had been anyone else in the role, I don't think that the film would have held up. As it was, it was one of the most enjoyable films of the past year. That's the difference his role made.

Secondly, I'm not so hot on Sean Penn. Not so much the personal foilbles, being that he's a violent arsehole, but that I can see his acting when he's acting. He never embodies a role. He always shows the seams of his performance, letting you know he's using his craft, rather than just bloody acting. Also, I'm sick and tired of people crediting dramatic roles over comedic. It's a butt-load harder to pull off a comedic role than it is to lament over the death of your fictional daughter. The Academy is perfectly happy with drama that goes over the top, but they get all snobby once they're confronted with comedy (or SF/F, for that matter).

Which leads me to Bill Murray. He's had the performance of his career in Lost In Translation. I've always enjoyed his performances, but this is the one I knew he had in him since Groundhog Day and even more so since Rushmore. My trouble is deciding between Murray and Depp, but I still lean towards Murray. I loved, loved, loved Depp, but Murray's performace was brilliant. I'd be happy with either winning. Just so long as it isn't the overrated Penn or anything from that gawdawful Cold Mountain.