Interesting that I was contacted to do this viewer response thing to "Dads" a week after my sister's family was one of the Nielsen families. I made her TiVo the last episode of "Angel," so I think that may have had an effect on her results. Who knows.
Still, I find it somewhat ironic that the networks cancel my favorite shows one after the other and then ask for my opinion on their programming. Rat bastards.
At any rate, I watched the tape on Wednesday. It was...bad. I think I've seen an episode of it before, as I had a definite sense of deja vu while watching. It was a show about single, divorced dads coping with dad-hood. It actually could have been good, but mostly it was just very, very, very bad. The writing was dreadful, the direction/editing were horrendous, the kid actors made me wish for a killer clown to show up at the boy-child's birthday party, and one of the best-friend dads was so awful I hoped his ex-wife would pull a Lorena on him.
After a certain point, I wondered if they weren't sending out these tapes just to get the surveyed to watch television ads (couldn't fast forward the tape without messing it up due to its SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGY). The show was that bad.
Turns out they were actually interested in the response to the show, not the ads.
They called me about it today, and I told them the writing sucked and that the children must die horrible deaths. Well, not like that exactly, that would be rude, but something like that. Mom has done one of these before and says that it's unusual for the surveyor to ask questions which do not have preset answers from which the questioned chooses. I was allowed multiple sentence answers. I got very specific, but also mentioned I'd give any show a chance so long as it isn't a "reality" show. This is actually true. I've watched a lot of shitty sit-coms and hour-long dramas. When I say "CSI" blows chunks, you can trust I'm speaking from viewing experience and not out of my over-opinionated ass. If they got rid of a few of the actors, the writing team, and the director, the show might work. As it is, it cannot withstand the juggernaut which is "Two and a Half Men," currently the king of single-divorced-dad comedy.
Still, I find it somewhat ironic that the networks cancel my favorite shows one after the other and then ask for my opinion on their programming. Rat bastards.
At any rate, I watched the tape on Wednesday. It was...bad. I think I've seen an episode of it before, as I had a definite sense of deja vu while watching. It was a show about single, divorced dads coping with dad-hood. It actually could have been good, but mostly it was just very, very, very bad. The writing was dreadful, the direction/editing were horrendous, the kid actors made me wish for a killer clown to show up at the boy-child's birthday party, and one of the best-friend dads was so awful I hoped his ex-wife would pull a Lorena on him.
After a certain point, I wondered if they weren't sending out these tapes just to get the surveyed to watch television ads (couldn't fast forward the tape without messing it up due to its SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGY). The show was that bad.
Turns out they were actually interested in the response to the show, not the ads.
They called me about it today, and I told them the writing sucked and that the children must die horrible deaths. Well, not like that exactly, that would be rude, but something like that. Mom has done one of these before and says that it's unusual for the surveyor to ask questions which do not have preset answers from which the questioned chooses. I was allowed multiple sentence answers. I got very specific, but also mentioned I'd give any show a chance so long as it isn't a "reality" show. This is actually true. I've watched a lot of shitty sit-coms and hour-long dramas. When I say "CSI" blows chunks, you can trust I'm speaking from viewing experience and not out of my over-opinionated ass. If they got rid of a few of the actors, the writing team, and the director, the show might work. As it is, it cannot withstand the juggernaut which is "Two and a Half Men," currently the king of single-divorced-dad comedy.



No comments:
Post a Comment