Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

"Yu-Gi-Oh Cards For Sale"
I didn't mind the Pokémon craze. The card design was interesting, the toys cute, and the cartoon not too horribly animated. It even had characters I liked. The video game was a fun way to pass time in the airport.

Then my nephews in Philly got into Magic: the Gathering. I was in turns slightly repulsed by the severe dorkiness and mightily amused that Magic was now a game played by eight-year olds. And the cards were cheaper.

Now it's Yu-Gi-Oh. The show, the cards. It wouldn't be so bad if the show weren't so damned ugly, the characters so unlikeable. If there was an enjoyable GameBoy game. Instead, Yu-Gi-Oh appears to combine the worst of Pokémon and Magic. And the cards cost more.

Still, they expect Aunt Sugar Kat to provide booster packs on birthdays. Man, it makes me pine for the days of that brief flirtation with the Harry Potter card game.Those were super-cheap cards, and I like the books. And I don't wouldn't have to deal with hours of Yu-Gi-Oh being played on my sister's TiVo whenever I visit. Bleh-phooie.

No comments: