Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Holidays I hate the most

Saint Valentine's Day, naturally, bites it royally. I think it does for every single person. Also for those who are unhappily attached. It's a sucky holiday meant for the priveledged few who are in love and happy about it.

Good thing: cheap chocolates the day after.

New Year's sucks ass even more though. There's supposed to be this whole thing of reviewing the year past and getting started anew on the year ahead. My New Year's events always suck and are always with a parental unit. This year, Mom. It will be very, very bad. I had the opportunity to spend New Year's alone in my elder sister's house, but opted to stay here with Mom. I know all we'll do is fight and maybe drink champagne. I think the only reason I'm here is the champagne, which I like if it's good, and my mom's as choosey as I am about champagne. Every year starts the same and I hate that horrible feeling that I should start afresh but knowing it'll all go into the same shit as the previous year no matter what. I am who I am and all that. There will be no improvement. I don't need that depressing reminder every g*ddamned year. I'd rather just pretend it's not happening, beyond the change in year on my checks.

Good thing: champagne. And sometimes shrimps and cocktail sauce. I like sharing the shrimp tails with Oscar, who likes them even more than I do, which seems impossible.

My birthday, which is not a holiday but shall be included here for pretty much the same reason as New Year's. Except there's no champagne. And most everyone forgets my birthday. It's not that I mind bothering with my age, which is thirty, thank you very much. It's that there's nothing to celebrate at this point. What the hell have I done with my life? How will my life be better a year from my birthday? I won't, unless I can pull off another stunt like just after my 29th, when I quit my job from hell and went back to school. Can't do that. It'll just remind me of how much I haven't done and will never get to do. How nice. Lovely.

Good thing: my nephews still cared about my birthday last time. S-- got really excited about giving me my presents from France. It was really sweet. Lord knows that won't last much longer.