We brined the turkey this Christmas, then grilled it on a Weber gas grill on the front porch using mesquite chips to smoke it, too. It was sooooooo good. It was the first turkey I've eaten where the white meat was even more flavorful than the dark. It was so tender, so juicy-sweeeeet. Nice turkeyes. Yesss.
We told Mom she has to use that special holiday brining stuff for every turkey from now on. Apple juice and oranges and ginger and garlic and kosher salt and I don't know what else. Some bay leaves. Cloves. Stuff. Anyway, it was good. I ate more turkey than anything else, even the stuffing, which was better than ever since Dad decided to change the age-old, tried-and-true recipe and stick apples and chestnuts into the stuffing. And it was good. But we ate so much turkey, collectively, that we stuffed ourselves too full to eat stuffing, which is usually the first thing to go (followed closely by the cranberry sauce, as we are good Northeasterners and use real cranberries not that horrible crap in a can).
I want to have turkey for breakfast. Or maybe second breakfast.
We told Mom she has to use that special holiday brining stuff for every turkey from now on. Apple juice and oranges and ginger and garlic and kosher salt and I don't know what else. Some bay leaves. Cloves. Stuff. Anyway, it was good. I ate more turkey than anything else, even the stuffing, which was better than ever since Dad decided to change the age-old, tried-and-true recipe and stick apples and chestnuts into the stuffing. And it was good. But we ate so much turkey, collectively, that we stuffed ourselves too full to eat stuffing, which is usually the first thing to go (followed closely by the cranberry sauce, as we are good Northeasterners and use real cranberries not that horrible crap in a can).
I want to have turkey for breakfast. Or maybe second breakfast.


