Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

On Why I'm A Spoiled Brat

When we went to Northampton this Sunday to meet my sister J-- for lunch/dinner, my parents allowed me to get as much unagi as I wanted, in spite of everyone at the table going, "Eeew! Eel!" (Bunch of ignorant round-eyes, the lot of 'em.) Yum! So tasty! With a name like Teapot, uh, Something-or-other, the restaurant had to be good.

Then, when we stopped at Starbucks before leaving Northampton to let Mom use the facilities, I saw that Starbucks is now selling Muppets finger puppets stuck on top of candy sticks. Screw the candy sticks, I wanted the Muppets finger puppets. They even had the Swedish Chef! As I waited for Mom to finish, I collected every single character they had (Miss Piggy, Rolf the Dog, Kermit the Frog, Swedish Chef, Gonzo, Animal) and held them in my hand like a bouquet.

When she came out I said, "Mom! Mom! Look! Muppets! Muppets!" waving my finger-puppet-with-candy-in-an-uncomfortable-place bouquet before her with more enthusiasm than most folks in Northampton have seen in a long, long time.

"God, all of those?" she said.

"Pleeeeeeeeease?" bounce bounce bounce wave wave wave

"sigh All right. All right."

The guy behind the register gave us a strange look. "All of these?" he said, poking through the pile of Muppets.

"Ooh, but we have to get one for D-- [my brother and fellow Muppet Show fan; he got me one of the Muppet Show DVDs for my birthday]. We should get him Rolf. He loved Rolf." I dashed off to get him the best looking of the Rolfs on a candy stick and plopped it on the counter.

That was me being generous: allowing Mom to buy my own brother one frickin' finger puppet while I get the full half-dozen.

The whole lot cost over twenty dollars and embarrassed the hell out of my sister, which she displayed by rolling her eyes, sighing heavily and mumbling, "Oh, gawd." Mom felt the need to explain to everyone in the store that "people of my age" (she actually told them I was thirty, dammit) are huge Muppet fans.

Well, considering what Lucas did to the Star Wars franchise, the Muppets are the only thing left from my youth which has not been tainted. (I don't think I've seen the more recent films made since Jim Henson's death.) Of course I'm enthusiastically nostalgic.

Today (Monday) a package came in the mail for me. Mom had bought me the new, illustrated edition of Seabiscuit: An American Legend, which has loads of wonderful photos and makes me very happy, as I loved the book.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) we're heading into the City so's I can get me an expensive haircut. We're also going to try and trade in our rained-out tickets from the 22nd for tickets to tomorrow (Tuesday) night's Yankees-Ranger game. Hee! Happy!

Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled.