Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Saturday, August 09, 2003

So...Tired...

I am staying up so I can get all of my nephew S--'s clothes clean so he can pack them in the morning so he's ready to fly away tomorrow afternoon. This is taking much longer than it should because S-- was at soccer camp all this past week, playing soccer in the rain, tossing his dirty soccer stuff into a plastic bag, being a twelve year old boy. His clothes had a rank funk I've never come across before in my life; a mix of pre-teen sweat and muck from muddy soccer fields and mildew from being stored, wet, in a plastic bag. A sincere and nasty funk which requires a couple of severe washings before the smell goes away. So, I am up late, Cinderelli, Cinderelli.

I was keeping myself up by reading Ha Jin's Waiting, but I got to the rape scene and the post-rape social nastiness and I found I was far too upset for this hour and could not continue to read the very good but currently disturbing book right now. How to alieviate this problem? Check out websites, naturally.

Stupidly enough, I went to RightStuf to see how many DVDs have been released of FLCL, which has won my heart--pitty-pat!--through showings on Adult Swim this past week.

There are three DVDs out, in case you were wondering, but different retailers tell me different things about boxes and which DVD the box comes with, if there's a box, that is, and if it's available, which it might not be, you know, as it might be a collector's edition, or they might not have the DVD, anyway. I even checked out DeepDiscountDVD, which, apparently, never has anything in stock, which is why their prices are so cheap. (I prefer to have retailers tell me outright if they have something before I click the "buy" button. Just seems more polite that way.) Anyway, I was stupid enough to order the somewhat more reliably guaranteed "special collector's box!" edition of the third DVD from Amazon. I refrained from buying the first and second DVDs as I was hoping DeepDiscountDVD would have them, but they didn't, so I'm at a loss, which is good, as I can't really afford to buy them, anyway.

That's not all, though, for as I was looking through RightStuf's catalogue "to see what's up," I discovered I could get Escaflowne box set for over $100 cheaper than usual through the RightStuf weekly sale. So, I bought it. With what money, you ask? Um, with the money I shall put together through the refund checks I've received over the months and SheepBoy's kind repayment of a hotel loan-thing, all of which I've yet to deposit.

I've no idea how I'll pay for the FLCL DVD.

I'm so crack-addled.

No! It's sleep deprivation! I'm tired! Soooo tiiiiirrrrrred... and my brain's been addled by the funk of my nephew's dirty soccer camp laundry. I can't help it! Mind-alterning pong and laaaate night. Yes.

Somehow I doubt this defense would work in a court of law.