Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Update on the unnamed cat

We have the best vet. Shaker Veterinary Hospital. They're great with animals, they run an animal placement service, finding homes for strays and animals whose owners can't keep anymore, and they were quick to help us when we brought in the dead cat we found last night. They took the cat, box and all (what, I want to keep a box which had had a dead animal in it?), and told us they were going to put an ad in the paper about the cat. The head vet said he and his staff would also try to ID the cat. So they might be able to find the owner. They probably will.

So that's a big relief.

Only problem is, there's this cat, Dresselmeyer

who has been in the little animal placement service cages (they call the placement service Save-a-Pet) for a couple of weeks now. When I first saw him, I thought maybe my sister, E--, whose family had just lost their cat Mitzi (hit by a car), might like to take him. I got my heart set on finding a home for him. He was sweet natured for such a large cat stuck in such a small space (not fat, but tall--he could most definitely take on a lapdog and win, if he were so inclined). He was also good looking; with his sleek black coat and small white bib he looked like he was about to go to the opera. But my sister told me they were looking for a kitten, that my nephew J-- insisted on a kitten.

I was unreasonaly angered by her capitulating to J--'s request for a kitten. There are so many good cats who need homes, I thought. Why can't she at least give Dresselmeyer a chance? I'd even taken pictures of him hoping a peek at the cat would persuade her, but I never got the chance to e-mail it to her. Still, it's up to them to take on an animal. Why should they bow to my choice?

So, he's still there, a couple weeks later, waiting in that cage for someone to notice how good a cat he is and take him home. I don't know what to do, as there's no way I could persuade Mom to take on another, a third cat, especially now that Oscar is starting to cost a lot more with his blood tests and all. But I want to know Dresselmeyer's in a good home. So I'm posting a couple of pictures of him, not the best pictures but better than nothing, on my Fotolog and hoping for the best.