Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Thursday, February 27, 2003

On Blogging
I was reading the old posts on Steven Brust's blog, and I started thinking about how I felt I needed to acknowledge certain events in my blog.

Why? Why should anyone care how one stupid English-major nitwit in Smalbany feels about the September 11th anniversary? The Columbia Shuttle...I guess we can call it an accident. Tragedy seems like too big a word. As does disaster. Anyway, so I post like crazy about those. Who cares? Why would anyone read this?

I haven't written about the clubs which had stampedes and fires, or the people who've died because of the weather, or anything like that. Why write about what I did? I guess because I felt like I was personally affected. I spent a childhood dreaming about moving to NYC and the space program. (I'm probably the only person here at this website who remembers Sagan's Cosmos series. I watched it obsessively even though I was just a little kid.) But still, why should I write about it? Brust is a writer of not spectacular renown, but he's published a great deal (and is good! read him! now! go! shoo!). He doesn't feel the need to write about it on a semi-public space like a blog.

Semi-public? Well, yes. No one has the time to visit every blog. There are far too many out there. And, to be honest, there are far more interesting ones. I can't imagine anyone I don't know reading this. There's nothing to hold a stranger's interest, especially since I'm writing partially for myself and partially for friends far away. Strangers are not my target audience. So, even though anyone with access can read this blog, I can't imagine they would. So, semi-public.

I also haven't written about the clubs because I'd probably write something really horrible I'd be ashamed of ten years from now. So, we're avoiding that. And the people who died because of the weather.

I think maybe I shouldn't post so much. Granted, I think it's been a couple of days, anyway, between posts. But, really, I haven't much to say of interest even to those who know me. Other than ranting about my parents. And who really needs to read that? You know me, you know the story. I haven't really been doing anything, except catching up on reading for class and forgetting to turn in an assignment. (Dumbass!) I haven't even written anything of note. (At least I writing, though, which is a major improvement over a year ago.)

Please forgive the typos, by the way. I can't review and edit posts from here.

No comments: