Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

i'm in gryffindor!

Monday, February 03, 2003

On Today's Word
John Adams argued with Jefferson that the word was spelled "unalienable", not "in-". Or told Jefferson it was supposed to be "in-", not "un-". Something like that. There was disagreement. At any rate, the text was changed in the publication to read as Adams wanted it to read. At least in some of the printings. This might be a... um, what would this be called? A fiction? A falsehood? Historical myth? Who knows. I think I heard it on PBS, though, and in my mind, they're a good authority on stuff ya' learn, so I'm going to continue to believe it.

It's also one of my favorite sentences: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I love that document. Some day, I'm going to get a copy of it. Maybe one of those little, leather-bound books. One of the Declaration of Independence, one of the Constitution, one of the Bill of Rights. And then I'll memorize them, starting with the Declaration. I guess I could pick up something like that at the National Archives in D.C.

And I'd also like to get a copy of the collected letters exchanged between Adams and Jefferson. That would be fascinating. (I'm such a geek.)

Typing Lesson
Our cat, Floof, a blue-point himalayan, which means she has fine-haired fur which is super-fluffy and poofy and that's where she got her name.... Where was I? Right. Anyway, Floof, who usually sits in the lap of whomever is sitting at the computer, has decided that the desktop might be more interesting today. She has positioned herself so that she is daintily perched above the keyboard, beneath the giant-ass monitor Mom bought herself, and for the last twenty minutes, she has been watching me type as if she were trying to learn to do the same.

(Kind of ironic, when you consider her previous owners declawed her. Declawing involves the surgical removal of the first knuckle of the toe/finger. So, look at your hands. Imagine the knuckle where your fingernail is is no longer there. Now imagine that is the case with every single one of your fingers, including the thumbs. Floof would probably not be a very good typist, even with a lot of practice.)

It's exceedingly cute. She's very still, except for her ears, which seem to flick to one side only when I make a typo. It's also very good positioning, as all I have to do is lift my hand a couple of inches to scratch her on her forehead, which is covered with a Persian-carpet-thick patch of fur and is therefore very pleasureable to wiggle my fingers through.

(The people who declawed Floof are the people who decided, when she was about to turn three years old, that she was too old and no longer cute, so they were going to put her to sleep. Mom rescued her. Those were evil, evil people with far too much money on their hands. Do you have any idea how much a pure-bred himalayan kitten costs? Sheesh! Also, they had named her Corduroy, which is a stupid frickin' name for a super-fluffy-poofy cat.)

Some day, I'll figure out a way to post one of my own pictures on here and I'll post pictures of the two cats, so you can see what I consider to be irresistably cute in feline terms. Except for the behavior, I can't post that, and that's where a great deal of the feline cute factor lies.

Ohhh, you're so cute, Floof! scratch scratch pet scratch pet pet pet "purr... purr... purr...."

What Poetry Form Am I?
Apparently I'm a split personality. Either I am ottava rima:
Ottava rima? Me? That can't be right!
   Too frivolous? But tut, there's no such thing!
Let others ponder thoughts of wrong and right,
   Or sit and think how much they love the spring;
I'd rather spend my time in gleeful spite,
   Or maybe laugh, or maybe sit and sing.
Besides, it might be fun to be inspiring -
But surely it would get so very tiring.

Or I am a haiku:
Short, terse, unfriendly,
Yet sometimes quite emotive;
I am the Haiku.

How, erm, interesting. Don't get it, but it's kinda cool to be considered a haiku, I have to say, if only half-way haiku.

What poetry form are you? A special quiz for English major geeks.

Which Adolescence of Utena Character Am I?
Look! Another personality quiz! Let's waste more time, shall we?


Name: Touga Kiriyuu
Gender: Male
Name Means: ?
Color: Red Rose

Touga: Was Utena's boyfriend/playmate as a child. He saved a little girl from drowning one day, but died himself. Somehow he meets up with Utena at school. He loves her. He's a nice guy that just gives. But he knows everything. Everything about the cruel world, but since he died here he has to stay here. He would like Utena to stay with him, but she wants to escape this sick world with Anthy. He wants her to. In fact, he helps her. He just wants to see her happy.


You: Are a good person. You suffered for being so good, but you are still good. You arent the strongest or bravest, but you will help the strongest or bravest if you can. You're noble. You're wise. You know how crazy the world is. But for some crazy reason, you're optomistic. Everyone seems to like you. You will help others reach their dreams.


Look. I'm a nice...guy. A nice, dead guy who's in love with a girl who dresses like a boy and is dating another girl. Sheesh. But then, that's anime for you. And, look! Pretty hair! Whee!

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
or, Stupid Fucking CSFB

CSFB is my former employer. The evil bastards who worked me like a dog and refused to pay me appropriately for my O.T. I hate them. I wish them great harm. This harm, in my happiest world, is to come through their misbehaviors coming to light and the government of many cities, states, and nations slamming them ruthlessly.

Now it appears that my happy dreams are slowly coming true. Huzzah! Smash them to bits, NASD! For details, check out this article in the NYT. Then, celebrate with me! Whee! Root, root root for the NASD! gloat gloat gloat

The Onion, Again
This article toasts my monkeys almost as much as this article did.

We Are Pepys' Grandchildren
There was an article in the Saturday New York Times on Pepys being the "grandaddy of blabbermouths", the forefather of those who maintain weblogs today in the early part of the 21st century. Me and Pepys. Only, I think his diary is more interesting....

No comments: