Drunks Sporting in the Water
This is a rant. Skip this entry if you don't feel like dealing with my incoherent bitching today. [4/14/03: Please note I've changed the title so I don't draw the porno crowd. Well, more of the porno crowd.]
I feel like an old woman. Some stodgy old bitch. I cannot get excited by the prospect of hundreds, if not thousands, of drunken college-age students splashing around in the campus fountain and pool. Today is Fountain Day, the day they first turn on the fountain and fill the pool in the center of campus. Apparently the tradition is for students to get drunk out of their skulls, starting the evening before, and then continue drink heavily as the countdown to the opening of the fountain commences at 12:15 PM. When the water starts up, the inebriated students take off clothes and splash about in the pool and dance through the fountain.
I am tired of drunks. I am tired of potheads. Okay, so these guys are young and getting this out of their system. I've, what, nine to twelve years on these kids. Still, I don't have the patience to deal with them gushing about how wonderful it is to get so smashed you can't even see straight. I am in a completely different world from my fellow undergrads. I can't even begin to try and socialize with them. Their idea of a fun weekend is so very far from mine. And what the hell is with the focus on pot? Pot is the drug of choice, and these kids smoke it like tobacco. Constantly. They talk about how they have to smoke pot before they can write, then turn in half-coherent, trite garbage. Half the time the kids in one of my classes come in buzzed. It's annoying. I can't even be amused by it anymore. Enough of it already. I can still count on one hand the number of times I've gotten drunk. I was embarrassed by the number until I came here and discovered that a vast swath of the population gets shit-faced every weekend like clockwork. I haven't smoked pot because I've never felt the need to fry my brain like that and pot appears to be the center of their social life.
They smoke and stink to heaven. They drink to incapacitation and tell repetitive stories of their weekends. They get high and sound like brain-damaged cheerleaders in class. I know they have brains. They occasionally come in to class without hangovers and without a buzz and say insightful, intelligent things. It's just compeltely stupid behavior. And they don't have to be this way. Do they? Or, maybe having little else to do up here, this is all they can do. That idea makes me miss New York City all the more. But I still can't help but look at these kids frying their brains out and seeing complete fucking idiots. And feeling like an old fart because of it.
I feel like an old woman. Some stodgy old bitch. I cannot get excited by the prospect of hundreds, if not thousands, of drunken college-age students splashing around in the campus fountain and pool. Today is Fountain Day, the day they first turn on the fountain and fill the pool in the center of campus. Apparently the tradition is for students to get drunk out of their skulls, starting the evening before, and then continue drink heavily as the countdown to the opening of the fountain commences at 12:15 PM. When the water starts up, the inebriated students take off clothes and splash about in the pool and dance through the fountain.
I am tired of drunks. I am tired of potheads. Okay, so these guys are young and getting this out of their system. I've, what, nine to twelve years on these kids. Still, I don't have the patience to deal with them gushing about how wonderful it is to get so smashed you can't even see straight. I am in a completely different world from my fellow undergrads. I can't even begin to try and socialize with them. Their idea of a fun weekend is so very far from mine. And what the hell is with the focus on pot? Pot is the drug of choice, and these kids smoke it like tobacco. Constantly. They talk about how they have to smoke pot before they can write, then turn in half-coherent, trite garbage. Half the time the kids in one of my classes come in buzzed. It's annoying. I can't even be amused by it anymore. Enough of it already. I can still count on one hand the number of times I've gotten drunk. I was embarrassed by the number until I came here and discovered that a vast swath of the population gets shit-faced every weekend like clockwork. I haven't smoked pot because I've never felt the need to fry my brain like that and pot appears to be the center of their social life.
They smoke and stink to heaven. They drink to incapacitation and tell repetitive stories of their weekends. They get high and sound like brain-damaged cheerleaders in class. I know they have brains. They occasionally come in to class without hangovers and without a buzz and say insightful, intelligent things. It's just compeltely stupid behavior. And they don't have to be this way. Do they? Or, maybe having little else to do up here, this is all they can do. That idea makes me miss New York City all the more. But I still can't help but look at these kids frying their brains out and seeing complete fucking idiots. And feeling like an old fart because of it.



No comments:
Post a Comment